Welcome to the end of another month. December was not the slower month I had hoped to have. Work got crazy and I was pulling 13 hour days towards the end. January and February are both super busy work wise, with two week long conferences and our yearly audit. Yay for books helping to keep me sane. I have four book tours scheduled for January and the three books read so far have all been awesome, so January should be a great bookish month. I am linking to Best of the Bunch, Feed Your Fiction Addiction’s monthly wrap-up and The Book Date’s Month in Review. So check out what I did in December, my top pick and my most anticipated books of the coming month.
I reviewed twenty-one books this month.
- [2 Dec] Movie Star by Lizzie Pepper: A Novel by Hilary Liftin ★★★★
- [3 Dec] Sweet Ruin by Kresley Cole ★★★★½
- [4 Dec] Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn, David Levithan ★★★★
- [6 Dec] Instructions for the End of the World by Jamie Kain ★★★
- [7 Dec] The Broken Hearts Book Club by Lynsey James ★★★★
- [9 Dec] Blood Kiss by J.R. Ward ★★★★½
- [10 Dec] Reasons to Love a Nerd Like Me by Becky Jerams ★★★★
- [11 Dec] After You by Jojo Moyes ★★★½
- [13 Dec] Arbor Day by B.L. Alley ★★★
- [14 Dec] City of Light by Keri Arthur ★★★★
- [16 Dec] Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson ★★★★½
- [17 Dec] Shopaholic to the Rescue by Sophie Kinsella ★★★★
- [18 Dec] The Impostor Queen by Sarah Fine ★★★★
- [20 Dec] Outspoken by Lora Richardson ★★★½
- [21 Dec] Thicker Than Water by Kelly Fiore ★★★★
- [23 Dec] The Restaurant Critic's Wife by Elizabeth LaBan ★★★★
- [24 Dec] Other Broken Things by C. Desir ★★★★
- [27 Dec] Fake Missed Connections by Brett Fletcher Lauer ★★★
- [28 Dec] What She Left: A Novel by T.R. Richmond ★★★
- [30 Dec] My Name Is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout ★★★★
- [31 Dec] Unhinge by Calia Read ★★★★
I had three 4.5 star books in December. Sweet Ruin by Kresley Cole, Blood Kiss by J.R. Ward and Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson. While Cole and Ward are two of my favorite authors, Lawson was just such a fun treat I had to pick Furiously Happy as my best of the month. Mixing humor, straight talk about mental illness and a cast of ridiculous taxidermied animals, Happy had me laughing by the end of chapter one and not stopping till I shut the cover. I really enjoyed that Lawson was so open and real, she spoke about her experiences in a relatable way. The humor injected only added to the powerful messages and I devoured Furiously Happy in one sitting.
I did almost no bookish things in December other than read. I was just so busy at work, but the few things I did were great.
This was my first month participating in the Guest of the Month Club. I think it’ll be a highlight of every month going forward.
I started participating in the #FF Feature & Follow Time Hop and was the featured blogger for December 4th.
I announced my new feature The United States of Books. I can’t wait to begin this January 4th.
Author Tuesday is probably the thing I like most about having a book review site. I get to interact with some great authors and help others find out more about them. In December I was lucky enough to host Lynsey James and Lene Fogelberg. January will bring us Jenny Bravo author of These Are the Moments on January 5th and on January 19th Rachel Hollis author of The Girls series (Party Girl, Sweet Girl and the upcoming Smart Girl) will be featured.
My most anticipated January releases. I always pick books for this section that I do not have ARCs for. I think it adds to the anticipation as I cannot read them early. January has some amazing releases coming, and I feel blessed to have ARCs for quite a lot of the ones I really want to read. Some of the ones I do not have but am really excited to read are below.
I have twenty-two reviews scheduled for January. There are a lot of January releases that I am very excited to read. As mentioned above I have four tours scheduled and am excited to help spread the word on these great reads. Here is a sneak peek at some of the books to be reviewed in January.
You can check out the rest of my December happenings below.
- [5 Dec] Weekly Wrap-Up – December 5, 2015
- [12 Dec] Weekly Wrap-Up – December 12, 2015
- [19 Dec] Weekly Wrap-Up – December 19, 2015
- [26 Dec] Weekly Wrap-Up – December 26, 2015
My December Top Ten Tuesdays
- [1 Dec] Top Ten Tuesday – Top Ten 2016 Debuts Novels I Need
- [7 Dec] Top Ten Tuesday – 2015 New-To-Me Favorite Authors
- [14 Dec] Top Ten Tuesday – Top Ten Best Books I Read In 2015
- [21 Dec] Top Ten Tuesday – Top Ten Books I Wouldn’t Mind Santa Leaving Under My Tree This Year
- [28 Dec] Top Ten Tuesday – Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For The First Half of 2016
My December Waiting on Wednesdays
- [1 Dec] Waiting on Wednesday – Half Lost by Sally Green
- [8 Dec] Waiting on Wednesday – The Beast by J.R. Ward
- [15 Dec] Waiting on Wednesday – Forest of Ruin by Kelley Armstrong
- [22 Dec] Waiting on Wednesday – The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead
- [29 Dec] Waiting on Wednesday – Flawed by Cecelia Ahern
So how was your bookish month?